To drive effective digital advertising, it takes more than a banner ad, search keyword, and a Facebook fan page.
Taddy Hall just wrote a great article at Advertising Age called: 10 Essential Rules for Brands in Social Media
My summary and additional thoughts of his article, focused on a campaign’s landing page is as follows:
- Your influential visitors drive traffic and conversion much more than other means of advertising, so cater to them.
- Modify your site a bit when the referring URL is from a social networking source
- Make it easy for your consumers to share your content, as opposed to you sharing it
- Make your site a destination worth visiting (content, contests, etc.) that includes social elements (Facebook Connect, etc.)
- Track your message as it gets shared across Twitter, email, and social sites. This way you will understand what truly becomes viral.
- Participate in social sites (share other’s content) so others are more apt to share your content
- Email and IM are still very popular ways to share content, so make it easy to e-mail and IM each bit of content from your site. See this analysis from Tynt that shows email is by far the biggest driver of sharing
- Create content that is worth sharing! This can be games, videos, articles, quizzes, etc. (this is number 8 in Taddy’s list, but I think it is the most important one)
- Try to track your PR efforts. It can be tough, but you should understand the influence and ROI that it has.
- Aim to give customers the content they want (see number 8). Have this as your primary goal, not reach and engagement. Those can be lagging indicators of success and the number of times your content is shared can be the leading indicators.