From Mashable.com comes five good tips for executives to keep in mind, but they are useful for anyone establishing their personal brand online. My summary is:
1. Go where the people are: just like the big TV networks, you should also be seen on the big social networks
2. Invest in people: take the time to communicate with people, not just announce products
3. Be a subject matter expert: share what you know and what you find interesting about your subject
4. Make it personal: let people know who you are and what you care about
5. Don’t neglect internal social media: employees can benefit from social media technologies (building communities, discovering new content, etc.) and SharePoint is the tool that Microsoft uses heavily to let this successfully happen within our firewall.