However, helping local businesses is just a hobby. I’m interested in what brands do with Foursquare and other social media services. (I work at Microsoft helping large brand advertisers and agencies keep up with the latest in social advertising.)
To help both of these efforts, I’ve compiled a list of resources to be of help for both brand managers and venue managers:
I manage a brand, not a venue, what should I do?
- I suggest starting with my presentation with examples of how brands are using Foursquare (as opposed to locations): See http://www.slideshare.net/BrianGroth/examples-of-brand-advertisers-using-lbs-as-of-jan-2011.
- Foursquare of course has their own instructions and suggestions regarding how brands can connect with their followers on foursquare: http://foursquare.com/business/brands
- But brands should keep in mind their ability to partner with venues: http://foursquare.com/business/venues
- Also take a look at the various badges and brands on Foursquare at http://www.foursquarebrands.com/ This is a good resource for Foursquare consumers too, which can be used to find and manage brands that you follow on Foursquare.
- There is also a ranking of the top brands on Foursquare: http://fanpagelist.com/category/foursquare_brands/
- [UPDATE] Questions marketers should ask before starting a location-based effort: http://adage.com/article/digital/location-based-services-8-questions-start/149265/
What else should a brand manager, venue owner or consumer know about Foursquare?
- A great overview of Foursquare and strategies that venues should review comes from the 4SqIndy group: See http://www.slideshare.net/AndyHuston/foursquare-strategies/
Additional and related help and strategies include creating an effective Foursquare special and using Foursquare to grow your business and setting up your venue on Foursquare.
- You can get Foursquare news via my custom Montage at http://montagepages.fuselabs.com/public/BrianGroth/Foursquare/6df1f1e7-e711-4da4-8956-12208e4fdcee.htm and there are a variety of similar online “newspapers” on paper.li
- A huge listing of the badges available on Foursquare, including how to obtain them: http://mattersofgrey.com/foursquare-badge-list/
- Applications are being built on top of, or interacting with, Foursquare are certainly worth checking out: http://foursquare.com/apps/
- Follow the conversations on Twitter about Foursquare and location-based services by following the hashtags #lbschat and #4sqchat. One of these chats will usually happen on Monday at 6pm PST and on Thursday at 6pm PST.
- A good list of Foursquare questions and answers are on Quora at http://www.quora.com/foursquare including my question asking for examples of ad campaigns that use Foursquare
Please let me know if you know of other great Foursquare resources or examples of brands using Foursquare.