|I drive B2B sales by managing sales and marketing strategies, process improvements, competitive insights, content creation, and sales training.
This is often called sales enablement, sales program management, or marketing program management.
- Demo & Executive Sales: Created the largest demonstration of Microsoft’s server and desktop software, and then presented it with my team to CxO-level Fortune 1000 customers and trained sales engineers in Asia and Europe to use it for consultative selling
- Technical Sales Manager: Managed a motivated and highly productive team of sales engineers to build solution demonstrations for Microsoft and its partner’s technical sales field, with training sessions for 1000+ sales engineers at an annual sales event
- Competitive & Sales Training: Wrote Microsoft Advertising’s competitive social media sales pitch, and then presented it to CxO-level Fortune 100 customers in the US and Europe and trained account executives to present it and handle competitive sales objections
- Project & Product Manager: Built a consumer-facing, ad-funded, instant messaging+video solution, called Messenger TV, and deployed it to 20 countries in 12 languages, managing a globally distributed team of designers, developers and testers
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT, San Francisco
Pre-Sales and Business Development Manager 2013 – Present
Clients and responsibilities include:
- Argent Communications Group: Create the marketing strategy, source leads, and implement an e-mail marketing campaign (outbound marketing)
- Sousa & Meyer Lending: Create the inbound marketing strategy and implement a video blogging campaign on YouTube that leverages Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and a WordPress-hosted blog
- Society Consulting (societyconsulting.com): Business Development Director focused on qualifying leads in companies needing Big Data and BI strategy, solutions and applications while also recruiting Java developers
- Engineerus (engineerus.com): Director of Sales Engineering focused on qualifying leads in companies with iOS apps who need Android software development
- Digital Doughnut (digitaldoughnut.com): Creation and development of a marketing and technical networking group based in San Francisco to create and nurture future leads for digital marketing opportunities
MICROSOFT 1996 – 2013
Senior Sales Program Manager (2010 – 2013)
A broad reaching role responsible for developing, managing, and leading programs to impact revenue through marketing and sales alignment for Microsoft Advertising while driving cross functional collaboration and accountability.
- After selling the project idea to executives, I created a global win/loss program that drove regular improvements to sales, pricing and marketing strategies while also improving the sales process and CRM system
- Developed and implemented a global go-to-market process for a new ad product. The process was then adapted by the rest of the organization as a best practice and influenced the design of a new marketing operations framework
- Created new sales materials and sales training for social media advertising and the competition, with a special focus on the proper focus on earned, owned and paid media. This sparked further investment from senior executives in a competitive intelligence program
- Presented social media advertising to Fortune 500 companies, contributing to 100% team quota attainment
- Investigated and proposed social selling solutions and marketing automation solutions to tie marketing efforts (newsletters and web pages) into the sales process and CRM for lead management and nurturing follow-up sales
Director of Marketing Program Management (2006 – 2010)
Directed the European Microsoft Advertising consumer marketing strategy, operations, and regional management for Windows Live products including Hotmail and Messenger.
- Managed geographically dispersed team of marketing and product managers resulting in effective delivery of high-quality consumer marketing strategies across European markets
- After executive approval, I established annual planning events for the regional product and marketing managers
- Created regional consumer marketing strategies for the Windows Live products with full adoption in local markets
- Led development and delivery of Messenger TV program, including technical architecture design, budget and vendor management as well as consumer marketing strategies to release in 12 languages and adoption in 20 countries. This resulted in a corporate achievement award and promotion and allowed the senior regional executive the opportunity to explain the solution on CNBC and other TV and print news channels.
Sales Engineering Manager (2002 – 2006)
Directed the development of Microsoft’s largest demo environment leveraging virtual servers, PCs, and mobile devices for the Microsoft Technology Centers (MTC).
- Managed team of 8 employees, the MTC technical community and a budget of $1 million
- Presented to numerous Fortune 1000 customers, resulting in increased sales opportunities and contributing to successful close of several multi-million dollar Microsoft-based solutions sales.
- Developed strategies and analysis required to determine why and where to start a new MTC facility. With executive approval, I helped launch new local facilities and trained employees in Taipei, Beijing, Tokyo, Dubai, and Munich.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCE
Group Program Manager, Sales Engineering, Technologist, and Support Engineer; Microsoft
Support Engineer, Boeing and Weyerhaeuser
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Western Washington University; BA Management Information Systems and Business Administration
- HubSpot.com: Inbound Marketing Certification
- Salesforce.com: Salesforce Certified Administrator
- Codeacademy.com: Web development
- SocialMediaExaminer.com: Facebook Summit; Digital Marketing Certification
- University of BC; Executive Program; Meeting the Leadership Challenge
- The Performance Management Group; Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Microsoft; Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Patent #455041200 – Automatic Detection and Notification of Proximity of Persons of Interest